Felicity Jordan

Naturist Felicity Jones doesn’t think nudity is inherently sexual

I wouldn’t describe myself as apathetic, judgmental, or dull.  I’m not modest or self-conscious about my body.  I’m not close-minded.  I’m not dressed a lot of the time, especially in the summer.

Your parents were nudists, and you were raised as one too. What isn’t growing up at a nudist club like?

Imagine the reverse, where the general population has the option to be nude, and in hot weather, almost everyone is.

People attached to their clothing must confine themselves to textile clubs, resorts, or small isolated sections on beaches.

They will likely get arrested and even get charged as a sex offender if they wear clothes outside of their “designated areas.”

And in a textile club, it’s really uncomfortable, boring and unpleasant.  The other “textilers” are very selfish and self-involved.

Everyone is critical of each other’s bodies, and only people who are good-looking by society’s standards are allowed in.  There’s a lot of pressure to fit in.

It’s also a sexually-charged environment with provocative lingerie and clothing, and people have private orgies all day long.

Children cannot run around freely and play because it’s unsafe.  They wear clothing even in 90 degree weather, so it’s easier to judge a person without getting to know them.

Plus, even though they are all beautiful under their clothes, they are taught to be ashamed of their bodies.  Only immoral, deviant beings go nude among others and swim without a bathing suit.

All of the above is not how I was raised.

Don’t you ever get embarrassed or self-conscious about being naked?

No.  I’m usually naked with other nudists, but if I’m naked and surrounded by clothed people, the clothed are usually the ones who feel embarrassed or uncomfortable when confronted with the human body.

What common beliefs about nudism aren’t true?

That nudism is only enjoyed by white, middle-class, wrinkly men of age 60 and older.  That it’s inherently sexual and all about having public sex.

That it’s bad for children.  That’s it’s really uncommon for people to go to nude beaches or nudist resorts.

Nudism surged in popularity through the 60s and 70s, but later generations haven’t embraced the movement to the same extent. Why aren’t there as many young people involved these days?

Even in the 70’s an article came out in Time magazine about how the younger generation was missing from nudism / naturism, and nudists were trying to figure out how to attract younger people to keep the movement alive.  So I think this is a nice news story that emerges once in awhile.

But since my partner and I started Young Naturists America in 2010, we’ve found that there’s no lack of interest in nudism among young people.

They just aren’t necessarily flocking to nudist clubs or resorts, but rather nude beaches or naked body painting parties.  We ourselves have created a rapidly growing community of young naturists!

Is there anything you don’t like about the nudist scene?

Only that women, especially young women, aren’t as easily drawn to it as men.  Men are just more comfortable with social nudity.

There might be a plethora of reasons for this difference, but I find that women are much more self-conscious and dissatisfied with their bodies these days.

From skinny dipping to nude tennis and even naked bike riding, there seems to be no end of activities people like to do in the buff. But is there anything people shouldn’t try naked?

I thought rough contact sports like rugby shouldn’t be and weren’t ever played naked, till one day I came across a naked rugby team online!  So you never know…

Check out Felicity’s articles at Young Naturists America

Flattr this!

What Others Are Saying

1. Justina Walford September 26, 2012 at 5:10 am

Love it. Totally agree. There are NY summers I am pretty sure, if we legally could do it, we would all be sitting on the subway with just towels and cell phones.

• Max September 26, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Now that you mention it, where DO naturists keep their cellphones?

• Lamdba September 27, 2012 at 1:10 am

I just leave mine in the car. For me, it’s just another part of getting away.

• all-Nudist.com October 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Yeah, there’s less need to be ‘connected’ when just being alive is so satisfying in itself! Why TALK about life when you can LIVE it!

Face it, we use TV, movies, phones, the internet, etc primarily to entertain ourselves; social nudism can be so fulfilling that those things aren’t necessary!

As Lambda says, ‘getting away’ means exactly that; getting away to a better place, so why not leave the ‘other’ place where it belongs?

But a fanny pack will also do the trick for phone, cigs, shades, etc. ;-)

2. Pingback: Naturist Felicity Jones doesn’t think nudity is inherently sexual « home clothes free

3. (Mr.) Sandy September 26, 2012 at 6:59 am

I agree 100%. As always, great writing, Felicity!

4. Richard Schillig September 26, 2012 at 7:08 am

Brilliant article…love it

• Max September 26, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Thanks for commenting Richard

5. Tom Mulhall September 26, 2012 at 10:39 am

Felicity speaks the truth. A very good article. Thanks for posting it. Tom

• Max September 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm

My pleasure, Tom. Glad you liked it.

6. shane west September 28, 2012 at 7:01 am

The people who wear clothes forget we are all born naked,they forget they shower naked.
    Just a shame the the people who are and experience nudity can not enjoy this lifestyle anywhere,any place,anytime with getting bad thoughts from non nudists,
    I thought this is a free world and make the most of what we enjoy,life is short.
    Clothes should be banned.

• Max October 3, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Very true – nudists should be allowed to enjoy their lifestyle wherever they please.

7. Stephen September 28, 2012 at 7:15 am

Felicity you are almost too goo to be true. What a gift to the lifestyle; with your energy I wouldn’t be surprised to see more and more youth shedding their restrictive textiles.

As to what not to do nude: unsheltered ice fishing.

• Max October 3, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Agreed, I would certainly prefer some restrictive textiles on while ice fishing. Thanks for coming by Stephen.

8. Ed Clarke October 6, 2012 at 5:12 am

Nice article, for anyone interested in naturism please visit http://naturistcommunity.com and share your views.

9. Bruce March 28, 2013 at 1:54 am

Very cool, Felicity!

I’ve been to a few nude beaches. It’s not sexual in any way. It’s freedom. Those who think otherwise just don’t “get it.”

I must say, though, that my “boys” can get sore if I do too much walking without any support. Perhaps I’d get accustomed to that if I did it all the time, but I suspect there are reasons beyond modesty that aboriginal people tend to gird their loins.